Poison Prevention Week is here!
Unfortunately, each year thousands of dogs and cats suffer from accidental ingestion of household poisons. As a pet owner, are you aware of the common toxins that can poison your pet? Common household items such as foods, medications, chemicals, and plants can harm your pet if ingested.
Top 10 Pet Poisons
Here are the top 10 most common toxins that Pet Poison Helpline gets called about. Some of these listed are very toxic, while some are minimally toxic. When in doubt, call your us or Pet Poison Helpline to make sure there won’t be a problem. Take special care to keep these toxins out of your pet’s reach and pet-proof your house!
- Rodenticides (mouse and rat poison)
- Vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D or iron supplements
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen
- Cardiac medications, such as calcium channel blockers or beta blockers
- Cold and allergy medications
- Caffeine pills
- Canine pyrethroid insecticides (topical flea and tick medicine designed for dogs but erroneously placed on cats)
- Household cleaners
- Cold and flu medications
- Veterinary non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Rimadyl®, Deramaxx®)
- Glow sticks
- Amphetamines (such as ADD/ADHD drugs)
- Insoluble oxalate plants such as dumb canes or philodendrons
- Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin® in brand name or generic form)
The Pet Poison Helpline is available 24/7 for assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.
Having the container, package, or label in hand will save valuable time and may save the life of your pet.
Contact Kindness Animal Clinic or the Pet Poison Hotline if your pet has potentially ingested something toxic! 360-794-8813